Dear visitor,
It's a pleasure to have you in our forum. Your ideas, suggestions, questions and contributions will be highly appreciated. Would you like to join us?
Register and start participating in English4Fun!

Click Here To Log In

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» What Are You Listening To?
Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 pm by Anita

» I'm back
Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 pm by Anita

» Let's Bring E4F Back!
Sat May 27, 2017 8:46 pm by Anita

» Top 10 Films of 2011
Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm by Anita

» Lives from homeless people
Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:24 pm by Anita

» What would you miss most?
Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 am by Anita

» The Nobel Prize
Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:08 pm by Anita

» The Most Interesting Amazon Products (Cool Ideas!)
Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:46 pm by Anita

» Dreams
Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am by Anita

» I love AMERICAN CULTURE
Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 am by Anita

Loading crossword puzzle. One moment please.

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 14 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 am

PROTESTS: Are they effective?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you support protests and their cause?

100% 100% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

PROTESTS: Are they effective?

Post by Anita on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 am

Hi. everyone! Hi5!
More than a month ago, thr Western World was taken aback by a massive movement of protests in different countries, which have been labed as the Occupy movements. They still take place, and protesters don't give up on their purpose: a more equal distribution of the world's wealth and a fairer response to the global economic crisis.

Image taken from BBC News

It goes without saying these protests are inspired in the Arab Spring, which started takin place last year, and which has resulted in two presidents resigning and a fallen president, besides several lost lives and these countries waiting for a new kind of government. Countries like Syria and Yemen are still in protests.
The Occupy movement is also inspired in the Indignants movement, which took place in Spain and the one which on March 15 had its greatest uprising, bringing about no result in the Spanish government.

This weekend, the Zuccotti Park, where the largest occupy movement was located, was evacuated, alarming protesters even more.

Other countries are not in the Occupy Movement, but are struggling with decisions made by their government. Just in Colombia, students are on a strike and prepare frequent demonstrations, as they're opposing to an Educational Reform which, in their opinion, will constrain public education in terms of quality and accesibility.

In a semestre where protests have been a daily event, and even now when some of these movements are about to turn two months old or even more,

Do you believe in protests or strikes and their causes?
Do you think they are effective and manage to change positons or situations?
Are protests or protesters reliable?
Are protests a waste of time?
Are there better ways to achieve change?

Co-Admin
Co-Admin

My Mood : Perky

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts :

Back to top Go down

Re: PROTESTS: Are they effective?

Post by Nicole on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Protest can be a waste of time if you protest not for important things. What I mean is that some people only protests because they think it's cool to protest then I think it's a way to waste time. But do you protest for important things about what you think and what you would change in the world protest can never be a waste of time. I think protest can be effective and manage to change positions or situations for example the protests in tunisia.
I my Opinion sometimes there are better ways to achieve change, I think it depends on the way you protest and on what is the reason for the protest.

Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts :

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Yes! I truly agree with you, Nicole. Sadly many of the participants in demonstrations haven't got a clue about the causes of the protest. You ask them, and they'll just repeat what the others say, but there's no clear idea on the issue at hand. Total pity!

Is there any current protest in Germany? Is there any Occupy campaign?

Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:57 am

Hello Anita,

Yes there is a protest in Germany from Occupy. The protest is in Frankfurt a. M. a city with all big international and national banks. Is there any Occupy campaign in your country ?

Legend
Legend

My Mood : tired

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts :

http://www.taekwondo-schluechtern.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Yay! Yay! I guessed! I knew it was impossible that the Occupy campaign didn't take place in Frankfurt! It's the business and bank core in Germany. They continue with the occupation, don't they?

In Bogotá there have been protests for the Education reform and for the Pension reform. Next week there will be more demonstrations for the same causes as well as the military, who are not satisfied with the 'new' government.
In Colombia the Occupy movement hasn't happened. On October 15th, when it was the global Occupy Together campaign, only 70 people attended, because there were other protests in progress along the week. This semester we've had countless campaigns worldwide and locally!

Have these protests worked somehow in your countries?
In Colombia, the government reacted to students' protests, and there's been a first (positive) reaction. We're waiting for the next three steps to happen. But the law we were fighting for is over! Yay! cheers

Co-Admin
Co-Admin

E4F! Gifts E4F! Gifts :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top